I ran into an old friend in the supermarket yesterday. We had Senior Seminar class together, the big finale to years of hard work. She is teaching French half of a day in a remote town an hour away filled with Hispanics. Oh lord, I just could not believe it. She was chosen Top Senior graduate in our Department and she is two years older than me and here she is, unable to find a job teaching her favorite subject. She hesitated and then said, "I think it's my age."
I quickly reminded her that that could be the case for both of us, however I am substituting full time and get called nearly every single day. She works her 3 hours and gets paid the same as I do for a full day, now that's cool and it's her own class. However, this is not what she signed up for when she returned to school.
Now the age thing, I told her this:
First of all we have to present the positive side of hiring brilliant older women such as ourselves.
1. We aren't going to go on maternity leave
2. We are here because we WANT to be.
3. We are enthusiastic about our subject and feel strongly we have something to bring to the table.
4. We won't be bringing sexual advances to the table like our younger counterparts
5. We have already raised a family, trained a man..or two and do not need to be training a youngster in the sexual needs of the postmenopausal girls club.
6. We won't be asking for emergency leave unless we have fallen and broken something ( osteoporosis is a bummer).
7.We won't be stirring up things to gain a promotion because we're just happy to be here.
8. We are settled in our lifestyles and want to put our knowledge and patience to good use while we still have both to offer.
9. Our provocative appearance will not distract the class from the task on hand.
10. We can keep a class under control because we have survived hot flashes, night sweats, the rushing appearance of wrinkles and can enter surgery rooms ( elective procedures) laughing.
There is allot to be said for hiring the older woman and this gal is brilliant. I'm going to call Dr. Hottie and set an appointment!
2 comments:
Bwahahahahahaha!!
There is no way she couldn't find something locally. Seriously. That's ridiculous.
Seems to be true, sadly enough. However, she knows your favorite RMS Principal Miss T. I told her to read my previous post and then remind her of all of the carpooling that took place when she and her daughter were great school friends....
Post a Comment