Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Learning Experience

This has been a year of unexpected and uncertain change for me. I was not sure what I was going to be doing after graduation , but I wanted to head to the classroom and test the waters as an instructor. I felt it would be an opportunity to see if I would truly enjoy the view from the "other side" of the podium. I have spent the past 26 years in the classroom as an observer, volunteer, employee, student and now in a certificated capacity. I did not think I would be too surprised by the view from my new perspective. What I have found is that it isn't too different from what I had expected to find in some cases and big surprises in others.

There are teacher's who are there because they" live and breath", the chance to make a difference and there are those who are there for "themselves". There are those who have been here a long time and have seen many changes in the attitudes and behaviors in each new class as it arrives after summer vacation. They reflect on the lack of parent participation and the heavy criticism doled out from the home front , as well as the growing disrespect and empathy that seems to seep in more and more from the student body. Is there a direct correlation , a relationship, between student attitude change and a lack of parent participation?

I have taught in school districts where language was a huge barrier and have encountered more family support and positive attitude than those in the more affluent areas of our community. These people know they are coming from a disadvantage point and they want their children to have a better life. They know that education is "power" and it will help improve their future. The students in these settings are polite, helpful and respectful. Their parents want everything that the school system has to offer for their student. If they offer after school programs of "intervention", they want them there. If they offer additional reading help before school, they will get their child there. I see people who want to change their circumstances, therefore they are involved and the attitude is positive.The rewards flow in both directions. The children receive the additional assistance and the school receives extra volunteer help.

In the schools that are in the more affluent areas of my community, I see just the opposite. Many of the parents do not get involved and are the first to complain or give their students their permission to question the authority of the teacher and the class rules. Many of these rules have been put into place in order to organize and move the students through blocks of time in order to meet the State required standards. It is not easy to keep 34 students focused when they don't want to be there to begin with and they have been taught to disrespect authority.

I actually had one student stand up and announce in front of the class that his mother said he did not have to do what I told him to do. This was a student who already had a record of disciplinary problems, so I was simply "fresh meat". He was right , he didn't have to follow the rules, that was his choice. My choice was to remove him from the classroom where his attitude could not effect someone else.

This year has been a learning experience for me, which is what life is all about. You are never too old to learn or explore new ideas, all it takes is an open mind and heart and a desire to make a difference. One thing that has not changed as far as I am concerned, children need to be taught to respect their elders, school is important and requires a partnership between home and school in order for it to be beneficial for everyone. We as parents are capable of gleaning a great deal from what our kids go through and they learn by watching our example.

No comments: