
I do not get the opportunity too often, to stop and totally savor the "stupid" moments of the man I share my life with.
He is scholastically brilliant, loves numbers, and is a genius with million dollar portfolios. He has earned an equivalent of a Doctorate in Business Finance, he has 2 Bachelor Degrees one in Business, the other in Psychology. He spent 2 years earning his Certified Financial Planner designation and an additional 3 years earning his Chartered Financial Analyst Designation. The latter were accomplished in record time with high scores.
What I love are the moments he shows absolutely , " no common sense", I live for these moments because they are usually followed by long pauses of introspection, in which he has flashes of being "human" like the rest of us low mortals. This weekend our son and I were able to witness two such events, it was great.
We had purchased a new patio set, after eight long years of dealing with one that was too small for our needs. The new one is heavy aluminum, that could easily pass for heavy wrought iron, and has a wonderful black- green patina with an intricately scrolled pattern on the chairs. This pattern also appears on the table top which is covered in a green toned glass. As with most patio tables there is an area in the middle for the umbrella to be placed. It also came with a wonderful medallion to place in the umbrella opening if one opted not to use it. We optd out and purchased a" free standing", over sized rectangular umbrella that came with an optional netting, which could be attached to the valance of the umbrella to keep out flying critters during meal time. This way we could enjoy the complete table without the pole in the middle and have the effect of a gazebo or screened in room as well. It has a wonderful arching arm that allows for different angles of placement. Perfect!
Mr. Smarty, prides himself as the "man of the house" who can put together these projects without any assistance, as it only serves to disturb his genius. Hmmmmm !
The table arrived at the local warehouse and we picked it up, caravan style, and put that together in time for Easter. Unfortunately, the umbrella arrived several days later while the Master was on a business trip. Upon his return he eyed the large box and began his ritualistic male ego dance of preparation. He searched for his "rusty" screw driver and wrench( they are always left on top of the toolbox outside under the patio) and began removing the parts from the box. "Do you need any help", I called out. " Oh no, I have it all under control."
The next sounds coming from poolside could closely be associated with a bear and an inexperienced long distance runner, ( complete with heaving , sighing and growling). There was a strange shadow waving around and the sound of chairs toppling over. " hey, is everything alright, do you need help out there? Well, ( gasp, groan) maybe." We ran outside and the first thing I hear behind me is our son, " Wooooh !" and I readily said , " ok, I think you need to hold it right there, here let me grab the table and you lift.... that."
The " FREE STANDING" upright pole was being "forced" into the center of the table, with the arm attached...on a windy day to boot! The beautiful scroll work below the glass was being stretched out and the weight of the umbrella in the wind was pulling everything over. UGH!! " I see, I see....( silence..blink, blink, extracating the embedded umbrella from the center of the table)...well...that was pretty....stupid" , he says. We all stood there for a moment and then a chuckle could be heard from our son's direction. I think that goes in the stand behind you dad, ya know, uh...free standing, like a basketball hoop thing ...chuckle.
Oh what a moment......This was almost as good as the lecture we got earlier in the day about taking defensive action against burgulars. " We need to keep the outer gates padlocked, I have aleady done it and the keys are here."
Son: Dad, maybe you should lock the first gate instead of the second one.
Dad: and why is that?
Son: well, you locked the gate right by the ladder that is leaning on the fence next to it!
1 comment:
ROTFLMAO
HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!
Post a Comment