I come here to reflect and try to reconnect with myself, yes that's silly I suppose. Does that mean I go around detached..sometimes it sure feels like it.
I love to look at my road and consider the possibilities. I love that picture, and I adore that road. It is in Charlottesville, Va. and it is beautiful, tranquil and magical to me. In the mornings the mist settles over the pasture and the most gorgeous Angus cattle graze, hay rolls are randomly dotted into the landscape and one can hear the birds chirping in the trees. It is a peaceful place for a California girl to linger and take in God's masterpiece.
For the past eight summers this has been our vacation destination for 7 glorious days and I never grow tired of it. It is a vacation that is part business and allot of pleasure for me, my son and grandchildren. My other half grades for the CFA program, he grades and builds relationships and we play. We always spend an additional week traveling around the outlying areas, it is an adult Disneyland for a History major. This year will be different, we will not be taking our trip to my beautiful spot and I am trying to muster enthusiasm for our new destination..Hawaii.
I know the landscape is beautiful and I have heard from countless others that I will immediately fall in love with it. So, I am preparing my list of possibilities.
The Arizona Memorial, The Punch Bowl, The Paradise Cultural Center, Hickam Air Base, whale watching, snorkeling....ok I'm trying, but it's not my "road". Another change is that my adventurous, humorous grandson will not be joining us this year.
I have been taking Ethan on vacation since he was 7 years old and now the time that I have dreaded the most has arrived. I knew it was coming, he's a boy, a teenage boy and very into what is "cool" and this year I guess Nana is no longer "cool" to hang out with. We have a "love hate" relationship, as my daughter puts it. I see him as witty, delightfully handsome,talented, and sensitive to a fault. I see his potential which is vast. I become frustrated with him and yet, he warms my heart in a way that only a Nana would understand..well maybe he's right..Nana is not cool to hang with ( hummmm) well, I will miss him ( allot).
It's great hanging out here by my road, I am so glad I took this picture. This is nice and soothing,
almost as nice as ...well that's another random thought.
No comments:
Post a Comment