Did you ever have a friend that you could connect with no matter how much time had lapsed between conversations? My daughter had one like that, a dear sweet friend from her elementary school days. No matter where life took them individually, they would reconnect months later and pick right up where they left off.
Those people are rare and they hold a special place in our heart like no other. They KNOW us, they GET us, they feel our rhythm and without missing a beat they fall into its pattern when we reconnect. It is like a warm kindred spirit who has found its way home. I love it when I have the privilege to reconnect with mine. I come away feeling rejuvenated and reconnected to "me". That seems like a simple and perhaps insignificant thing, but if your life has taken you somewhere you never thought you would go, well, that reconnection can be as comforting as a sunny day after a storm.
These people have a certain "right of passage", because of the history you have shared, and because you genuinely care about one another. Their criticisms are taken to heart and given quiet contemplation. My friend always gives me "hope", enlightenment and never leaves me without having made me laugh and smile. I dearly love and appreciate my friend. In fact, I think we should have a special day set aside just for our special friends.
If we had a special day actually set aside, then perhaps we would actually sit down face to face more often and share memories, because there would be "Friends Day". Instead, we talk about "someday", when we have a moment from our hectic schedules or , "yes, we will have to do that" and "that" never happens. So, we cherish the phone call, the email, the quick connection and we are deeply grateful for the rhythm of the friendship that never skips a beat.
1 comment:
Hmmm... it's freaky you should reference her considering I just tripped across her MySpace.
Anywhoo... there is also something to be said for remembering the past and not ruining it with a disillusioning contact. ;-)
Post a Comment