Saturday, March 3, 2007

An Evening to ...Remember

I had the strangest sensation that I had been here before. Last night I attended my son's High School Variety Show. Yes, this was a fund raiser and in the past three years I was told that it has grown into a" must see" Show. My son is a lowly Freshman, but my youngest, so I have seen quite a few of these things in my past.

I remember when I was in High School, the PTA ( yes, not the Booster Clubs that have since taken over) sponsored this event. It was great because melded into the evening performance of students, were adult performances. This usually consisted of faculty, PTA officers and those usual faces of moms and dads that were always there in the background manning the refreshment stands and selling tickets. I fondly remember, now that I am an adult, my father joining the other dads in a performance of Swan Lake. Yes, in full attire, wigs, makeup, hairy legs and tutus. My mom joined the moms in a can-can dance and brought down the house. Last night was ok, but it needed a bit of the ole spit and polish. Gee, this is sounding like a Broadway Review, and I am showing my age.

For the most part, the kids were inventive a pretty funny. My poor son, who is quite the serious type and very preppy, just could not stand the thought of gett'n down with the home boys in a rap dance and was mortified to say the very least. I was forced to give a blood oath that we, his family, would keep our heads down and not watch. Above all else we were never to speak of it again..ever! We vowed we wouldn't watch him.

As the evening "dragged" on we heard the introduction to the much dreaded, Peanut Butter and Jelly dance. The crowd around us was screaming and applauding and I looked to my left and to my right and we all looked at one another. "You can't look, you can't look either, I'm not looking at "him", I'm looking at Cody, he didn't say we couldn't look at Cody."

We couldn't stand it we took a peak,....gee it was funny and not half bad. We had definitely seen worse that evening. The kid wasn't that bad..definitely could use dance lessons and is ALL WHITE....but, I only saw him for a second...

I had done my part as a lowly mom of a Freshman, I had spent three hours in the kitchen helping with food preperation and washing dishes. Next year, he has made me promise to do something with him in the show. Gee, I don't know. The Choir director was my old Choir
Director ( he turns 60 on Sunday and does not look one day older than the 23 year old that entered our classroom in the Fall of 1970.... well that is how my mind sees him) He has threatened me with unmentionable things if I don't step up to the plate..well my mom and dad did it..so perhaps we should " take one for the Gipper!" That is a whole year away....

No comments: