


While attending the local university several years ago, as a History Major, my concentration was in American Colonial History. Now, I am completely obsessed with Normandy, the towns of Bayeux, St. Mere Eglise, and Arromaches. We spent time in Paris, and stood in front of the Arc de Triomphe and 40's newsreels played in my head, however, it did not move me as much as the countryside for some reason.
The fields of cows, the farmhouses, the green hills and rolled up hay bales, the chickens, and the beaches that were sprinkled with cinder block and iron...still. I was amazed to see the flags of England, Canada, France and America displayed so boldly...almost everywhere. Many of the people that we spoke with expressed the same thoughts,"...we expected to see the English and Canadians come to help us, but we were so surprised and happy to see the Americans."
I am an emotional person, I admit it. I wear my heart on my sleeve and am moved by the smile and giggles of babies and teenagers alike. I well up easily when I hear a song that brings back memories of my parents, and of my youth. I cry when I hear our National Anthem and see ole glory waving in the sky. It is who I am, and I make no apologies for it. I wept like a baby when I stood before a white cross in the American cemetery resting above Omaha Beach that read, "Here lies in Honored Glory One Known Only to God". Then I raised my eyes and saw white marble lying on a blanket of green as far as the eyes could see ( over 9000 men were lost on D-Day)and cried even more.
I am proud to be an American, I am proud of our country and our service to humanity, and most of all I am proud of the men and women who hear the call of service to their country and go willingly into harms way. Yes, we just celebrated the 4th of July and patriotism is coursing through my veins, I wish everyone could visit these places once and say thank you to the "greatest generation".
No comments:
Post a Comment