Friday, July 2, 2010

Europe for the Graduate












I was dreading the 10 hour flight, I won't again. It was better than I thought it could possibly be. Air New Zealand is the only way to fly. The passenger flying economy is treated like most airlines treat first class. The seats were quite roomy and the leg room was more than adequate. The food service and drink service was way beyond anything I could have imagined, I wonder what business class was like, or first class because this was great. We were on a 747 double decker, unbelievable..love Air New Zealand!

Europe, well it is not over rated. It was spectacular, England, and France were beyond anything I could have imagined. We learned a bit of French before we left, the last few weeks of school were crazy with so much preparation on every level. We were warned about Europeans not being too terribly fond of Americans, we never encountered anything other than gracious , wonderful people. They appreciated the effort we made to speak to them in their own language, and were so helpful regarding site seeing options and food choices. I almost think France was my favorite.

Paris is beautiful, and the architecture is something to marvel at. However, the countryside..oh my gosh, Bayeux, Caen, Normandy, Arromanches and the beach front at Omaha Beach is breath taking for so many reasons. We stayed in a wonderful little roadside family run hotel just a few killimeters from the beach front. IF, you ask they will tell you the stories of the German occupation and what D-Day meant to them. I have grown up hearing the WWII stories from all sources, this experience was the most powerful.


England was magical, the countryside is sprinkled with castles, cottages, pastures, rolling hills, and the city is full of the hustle and bustle that it is famous for. Double decker red buses, red phone booths, and Mind the Gap on every tube stop. The Tower of London, the Thames, Parliment, Westminister Abbey and of course the pubs where neighborhoods come alive at night. I watched with amazment as we exited the tube station and came right out in front of Big Ben. I remembered all the times I had watched Peter Pan as a child, with my children and again with later generations. Just for a small glimpse of pixie dust..ah come on. Magical, simply magical.


I love Europe, at least what I have seen of it so far.






No comments: