Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Nana's Delight


I am one of those women who loves kids, little itty bitty babies, most toddlers, elementary, junior high and even high school. I find them fascinating, spontaneous, courageous, and sometimes provocatively honest.


I also happen to be one of those women who adores road trips with kids, lazy days at home with kids and hanging out conversing with kids. They make me laugh, smile, worry at times and always , always make me think.


I have taught Sunday School classes in the past, substitute teach in our many school districts, and can say that I have had only a couple of memorable days in class where I Almost changed my opinion. :0(


I know that if we expect the best in kids and tell them, not only do we expect it, but we are confident they have what it takes to deliver the goods, we can see positive actions. I know if we closely monitor, redo what they have done to make it "better", and constantly remind them of what they did wrong instead of what they did right, we will help a kid lose their confidence.


I have done BOTH, all with the best of intentions, but the results were the same. If we really try to speak words of encouragement, and positive reinforcement we will help our kids develop strong positive self images.


I am in the process of trying to undo damage, not that I was a negative mom ( YIKES), but I overcompensated. So, a lesson learned is, never be too grown up that you cannot say, "I made a mistake", this is what, why, and how, I messed you up.......hate me now not later, .....we can fix this ...we can do this....no, YOU CAN DO THIS and SOOOOO MUCH MORE! I BELIEVE IN YOU!


Oh, and it's always nice to include a picture of a happy day at Nana's House!


1 comment:

Amy said...

I love that picture!

Even if it is my daughter in a bikini. *yipes*