Saturday, May 5, 2007

Finally, The Apple Doesn't Fall Too Far From The Tree

My daughter has a blog, a fan base and I check in every once in a while. It seems THEY don't like, "mommy blogs". Those blogs, which are devoted to the offspring and their cute antics, filled with all the sugar and gue that goes with it. That's fine, because I don't have a fan base. It's just me alone with my thoughts as I take a nice stroll down my road. So if my thoughts tend to meander around a child, kid, grand kid or two then that is where we will go.

I was driving with my son yesterday and we were listening to the sound track of "The Jersey Boys";the Broadway musical based on the life of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. Our conversation centers on Frankie's falsetto and the fact that he is actually a baritone. My son is a baritone, with the most gorgeous deep resonating tone. He laughs and begins to attempt the falsetto, singing Sherry

GJ: Man, how does he do that? ( laughing )

Me: He doesn't sing it with his normal voice, he is moving into the falsetto, lift the back of your tongue and just try it.

GJ: Now?

ME: Yeah, why not, who is going to hear you , but me? ( laughing)

I love music, I have been a singer since I was 8 years old when my brother bought me my first record player for Christmas. I loved how the music spoke to me and how it made me feel to be a part of it. I learned to use my voice, to imitate sounds and let go. I was the soloist during several productions in Junior High. I was in the small ensemble groups in High School and I sang ( gulp) in local clubs as an adult. Music has always spoken to me and I have always wanted to share that passion with my children. I have two older girls, 31 ( the blogger) and 27 ( the Theatre Major..tone deaf) and my big surprise, my 16 year old son. Right when I was ready to accept that none of my kids would share my passion, my son discovers his voice ( after nature adjusted it for him)last summer. He auditioned for the High School Chorale ( senior choir) and got in. He loves it, he breathes it and he loves 50's, 60's and the Classics.

GJ: ( voice cracking) laughing SH----erry Baaaaby, Sh-----erry Can You Come Out Tonight.
Me: Hey, see I told you, not bad...it's your instrument and you can work with it and control what you are doing. Check out the vibrato on the falsetto...cool
GJ: laughing...That's crazy.

It is such an amazing feeling to share this with my son, to hear him sing and to ask for my help. I love his enthusiasm before a concert and the dedication he has to this group of students and his Chorale Director. It reminds me of my passion and love for the group I made music with so many years ago and how much we loved our director. I love being able to relate to him in this place,this time,and with music.

Finally, the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree!

2 comments:

Handy or Not said...

Maybe not a fan base, but you may be surprised to know there ARE people who read your blog. In some odd way I often find it inspiring.

Malinda said...

Handy or not: Suprised?? Flabbergasted is more like it. LOL..in some odd way you find it inspiring..well ok and thank you. I can understand the "odd" I suppose and thanks for commenting. I now know that I am being read.