I have been in the "MOM" business for almost 37 years, it began when I was 22 years old. I had graduated from high school, junior college, 2 quarters completed at the local university, and two years under my belt as a Dental Assistant. I was too young under today's standards and right on schedule according to the social norm in my hometown. As of today it ranks as the most rewarding job I have had, that and being a grandmother, they are two very different things; it feels very different but in some ways so much better. The third favorite has been substitute teaching since I graduated ( finally) in 2006 with a BA in History and earned a Single Subject credential. I just truly enjoy watching,listening,and teaching kids, my favorite is middle school, the land where no one truly wants to be.
There are similarities that connect all three , they require caring, an ability to listen as well as speak,and the ability to access situations. You pick up quickly on body language,facial expressions as well as verbal content and voice infliction, above all, listening is the most important, and caring.
I know how to handle myself as a teacher, very well in fact. I love doing what I do and I am fortunate enough to have a home base school that I teach at regularly as a substitute which is a huge compliment. I am a favorite among students,parents ( huge compliment),faculty and administration. That has been my fortunate situation for 6 years and it's not bragging when it is a fact ;)
Parenting is on the job training, grandparenting is gravy. I enjoyed my very first airplane ride when I was 37 years old, I had led a paycheck to paycheck existence most of my adult life. When opportunities presented themselves I could not wait to share this incredible experience of seeing the world with my kids who still lived at home and my grandchildren ( I became a Nana at 38). I loved sharing this gift more than I can say, because it was new for me as well and I was able to combined it with my love of Colonial History. This was a beautiful bonding experience that parents and grandparents long for. The plus side was that I was lucky enough to have a daughter who was willing to share and trust me with her babies. Their journeys and adventures began with me when they were 6 and 7 years old. That was a huge gift and one I have deeply cherished.
The love we have for children is soul felt, it brings joy beyond measure whether it is as a parent,grandparent or a teacher. This is a relationship that should never be taken for granted,taken advantage of, but one that should be appreciated and nurtured. I have seen my kids grow up, and some of my former students enter their first year of college,and others are preparing to enter , some are enjoying the new adventures of high school, and it is a huge gift to watch and hear about it. I wish I had started teaching sooner, that is a regret, but it all happens for a reason as they say.
Find what you love to do,you are never too old, and embrace it and allow it to bring you happiness beyond measure.
No comments:
Post a Comment