Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tales of Renovations!

The holiday season brought new activities and experiences this year. I had wanted a new kitchen for sometime and after researching ideas, and being motivated by many kitchen designs on our various trips I settled on a plan.

I knew that I wanted neutral colors that would be embraced by potential buyers. I knew I wanted warmth and something elegant. So I went in the directions of copper, warm creams, rich browns and black. I interviewed several contractors and settled on a team of "young" energetic girls and their favorite general contractor and partner in crime and wallah! We were in business, add to the mix that my college student son was home for a long break before Winter quarter rolled back around and it was a win win situation for me.

I did something I rarely do, I let go of the reins and trusted the vision I had and allowed the girls to carry it a bit further. This was huge for me, and I must say that I enjoyed their energy and creative genes! I also loved the pictures that came via my i-phone all day long as my son took pictures and prepared me each evening as I returned home. Softening the blow so to speak!

My antique cream cabinets are gorgeous, my large copper hood embossed with upholstery nails is elegant, the black hardware unbelievable and my huge antique black island is breathtaking. Out with all of the tile, add beautiful warm rich cream,brown and black granite, new appliances and tear out a desk area that was never used and add in a wine station with refrigerator and rack and OMG! Whose kitchen is this??

My island was transformed with trim, molding, and pizazz, my kitchen has 6inch molding with wonderful elements, and so much personality. New appliances, new flooring, and it is a bit of Paris, right in the kitchen...with traditional overtones...heaven.

No comments: