My niece is an incredible woman, I am so deeply proud of her. Her beautiful son John Henry, "Jack", was born with autism. It has been a tremendous struggle that has been gut wrenching. He is low on the spectrum and is struggling with language and appropriate social skills.
Kelley has had him in a state funded program since he was 2 years old, and this week he entered Kindergarten. A very brave move for mom, who is a teacher and has returned to school to obtain her Special Education credential. She has had workshops in her home for family members who want to help Jack succeed, and we gather to go through skills with him that will help him practice appropriate responses, increase his response vocabulary and develop language phrases for initiating conversation. All of this is done in order to help him make the transition into a world outside of his home. I love the fact that my son sees this as an opportunity to help and it has opened his eyes so much. Which is another story, but let's just say that he "gets it" and it has helped him grow as well.
We all face challenges in our own lives, but nothing grips our hearts more than when it involves a child and their future. She just wants him to have a chance, and possibly friends, and be able to enjoy a life outside of the security of his home environment. She is a fighter, and I love that about her. She is also a person that easily gives to others even though her plate is quite full.
We have become quite close again, I am thrilled to have her in my life. I remember a time when I was lucky to hear from her every few years and now if we aren't checking in with one another every few days that seems odd.
She had that little guy in every Vacation Bible School program she could find in our community, number 1 because it was free and number two it was "practice" for kindergarten. So far, Jack loves kindergarten in our public school system, and I applaud him and Kelley.
Letting go and trusting others with your kids is very hard, especially if there are special needs involved. I am so proud of this mom, she is one special lady.
No comments:
Post a Comment