Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Just A Walk

The best way to really get to know someone is to walk with them in "troubled waters".

The past months have been filled with experiences I never dreamed of, and they have been mind numbing, as well as incredibly mind opening. I have had people close to me walk through the valley of cancer, and the journey is life altering.

I thank God, that they have come through it. I thank God that they are smiling.

I met this funny lady with a wild sarcastic sense of humor ,while we were sharing chaperone duties of 60 High School Choir students on a weekend camping retreat. We became instant friends, and her daughter befriended my son, a shy quiet freshman. That was almost three years ago. She is a teacher, wife, and mother and wears all of those hats proudly, as she should. She can also now add cancer patient ( lymphoma) to her titles as well.

My dear dear friend, finally after enduring months of chemotherapy, which weakened her body, made her cry out in pain, and led her down the humbling path of losing her hair, is in remission.

Through hat shopping, food runs ( lots of cheesecake), sitting together ( laughing and crying), and taking as many pictures as I could of her daughter in school activities, etc., I have observed this journey . It has been a heart warming, and humbling experience.

I have been blessed every time I have entered her home. The love and support has always been visible, and can be felt immediately. Yes, there were moments of brutal honesty that I witnessed by a husband who was holding on to his wife, and a mother-in-law who showered her daughter-in-law in love and wisdom. I saw daughters becoming mature care givers, mother- hens, and always with the deepest respect.

The experience, though they would never wish to do this again, has deepened their family bond, taught them the gift of self sacrifice, and most of all that simple courtesy and respect matter. It has taught them the value of living every moment, and that nothing is more important than family.

This past weekend was the High School Classical Music Festival for Soloists. Her daughter performed in the small concert hall filled with three judges and only a handful of observers. As she began to sing, Rest In the Lord, her mother began to weep, and then the choir director began to silently weep. As the observers listened and scanned the room, they knew there was much more going on in that hall than a solo festival.

To see this lady, begin to regain her strength, laugh and live again is fabulous. What a beautiful family, what a great friend, and what a blessing.

No comments: