Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Girl Friends

     One of my favorite girlfriends from high school moved back to Bakersfield from Portland a few weeks ago. It has been so much fun having her here. Prior to her arrival (with her husband and cat), we had made a trip up to Portland to hang out, a trip to Glendale to meet up with her and her son and daughter-in-law, and a few get -togethers here with our other high school gal pals. This has been a huge blessing and a new beginning for me on so many levels.

     It has been great fun introducing her to my kids and listening as she tells them about their mom in high school. I have told them stories before ( over and over again) but Kathleen gives them a whole "new" perspective on Mom. She has all of us rolling until tears are running; friends are great especially those you share a history with. She shares stories about my mom and dad, especially my mom from the perspective of a young teenager watching the adult figure share knowledge and laughter with her daughter. Some things I had forgotten which isn't hard to do any more, but far more were familiar.

    My mom and I were very close, I question now whether or not we were too close, but I can say unquestionably that I adored her. It was nice to hear Kath remember her sweetness and genuine concern for others. When we were in school, I was the one who usually drove everywhere. I had the green monster, a Ford Falcon. Today, we laugh because I'm the one driving. Our rhythm is familiar, it almost feels like two young girls playing "grown-ups". She has introduced my son to the "perfect" martini, which is pretty funny if you knew my son. My daughter thinks she is a riot, which she is, and it's just nice to share memories with someone who was "there".

    This Saturday the "girls" are heading over to the coast for wine tasting and lunch, since I can not partake I'm designated driver, again lol. Life is good.




No comments: