Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Times to Enjoy

Life has been interesting lately, it's so nice to feel relaxed and let go. Work has been very slow for a substitute teacher. Probably because California has seen fit to cut the budget for education dramatically. As a result, no one feels comfortable taking a sick day because, it might draw attention to themselves, and a pink slip might follow. So I have been lucky enough to spend a few afternoons with my granddaughter, who attends the Middle School directly behind my house.

She arrives at my front door within minutes of leaving the campus. We will discuss her day, have a light snack and then dive into her History homework. I love hearing her chatter and giggles, and I realize that with the gift of age comes the ability to find pleasure in very simple things.

I am deeply pleased that I spent the time to reenter the academic world, and that I have something to offer that is helpful. It's just nice to watch her enthusiasm, hear her intelligent input, and to watch her process the material and develop an opinion. I love it.

I have also been thrilled to see the same attitude from my grandson, as well as my son. I spent many years taking them on vacations that were filled with historical significance. My challenge was to be able to present it, in such a manner, that they would enjoy it. So, at the tender age of 7 years we would travel from west coast to east, and we would visit Monticello, Mount Vernon, Gettysburg, Bunker Hill, Williamsburg and everything in between.

The key was to throw in a cruise on a Tall Ship, or a steam boat, or perhaps a carriage ride. It meant enrolling little guys into the colonial militia and letting them learn to march and load a black powder musket with a mighty HUZZAH! Now at the ages of 16 and nearly 13 they get it, they even like it. Better yet, they want to discuss their classes...WWI, WWII, European Exploration.......wow.

They stumble and find the work challenging, but they are interested and can form opinions and see patterns in history and that is what it is about. It starts here, with the questions, wanting answers and becoming intellectually involved...they are fine kids...and they are my family! Gush,,gush........I dearly love these kids!

No comments: