We use to all hold up our thumbs and look at the curve, and my mother would say," yes, there it is that's Grandpa Stowers thumb," or it was,"look another redhead, there is only one in every generation and that goes back to great grandma Sarah." We are connected in ways we never really pay attention to.
Wow, family is such a great,wonderful gift. To be able to come together and share laughter, stories, music, and joy because we love one another is a precious gift. Sometimes we only realize it when it is too late. I think my grandchildren understand the "gift", they are my joy for so many reasons. First and foremost because of their own uniqueness, and secondly because of what they represent. They represent life that continues, life that connects them to warm caring people that walked before them. There is a part of me there, my mom, dad, grandparents and when I hug them I feel the warmth of family and unconditional love. What a precious gift.
I received many lovely things for Christmas this year, but the most precious to me were 3 framed pictures. One picture of each of my beautiful grandchildren and me and a time captured in the moment. I think of them often, as I do all of my children, and I feel blessed..mostly. The one that has strayed from the fold, I hurt for and then quickly dismiss because I know all things happen for a reason, for growth and in His time. The love does not stop, nor the appreciation of the gift...it's simply misplaced for now.
I heard a song and thought of my dad who has been in his heavenly home for 10 years and 6 months. He lives in my heart of memories and makes me smile, and my Amy has his humor and playfulness. So, just because we can't see them doesn't mean they are not present in some way or another. We simply have to look around for the twinkle, the chuckle, the prankster and there they are, present and accounted for.
2 comments:
Can we stop the time long enough to enjoy the grandkids? Obviously not. They all grow up so fast ............as our children did before them.
Hold tight.
Post a Comment